Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Default Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Ioriya View Post
    I CAN'T BREATHE.
    If it makes you feel any better, I can write grammatically correct sentences that are as long as the average paragraph. I just choose not to. Grammar is for Grammas!

Quote Originally Posted by RocSage View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I can write grammatically correct sentences that are as long as the average paragraph. I just choose not to. Grammar is for Grammas!
    Just try to read it all in one go. My ENG professor made a big deal out of those things and pretty much told us that is why punctuation exists.

It just reminded me of that day where she tried to read a whole paragraph without stopping. It was a fun class.

EDIT: Oh, and out loud. That's when you really know why punctuation is needed.
    Last edited by Ioriya; Apr 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM.

ioriya i actually read herp as help

the r looked completely like an l to me

whats happening
    ラブ、アンド、ピース。
    -everything i type is completely serious and you should be offended no matter the content jaja-
    translated pre-OB skill trees link
    Ma name's Satoshi Sakai and I sell My room and My room accessories! Uh huh huh!

Quote Originally Posted by deldelight8 View Post
    ioriya i actually read herp as help

the r looked completely like an l to me

whats happening
    Glasses maybe

or

you can squint your eyes whenever you read something.

Just try to read it all in one go. My ENG professor made a big deal out of those things and pretty much told us that is why punctuation exists.

It just reminded me of that day where she tried to read a whole paragraph without stopping. It was a fun class.

EDIT: Oh, and out loud. That's when you really know why punctuation is needed.
    Technically speaking, all English teachers are con artists. English doesn't have any real rules, but rather conventions we have taken on, because other people have told us they are right.

English Grammar especially was made up with a specific purpose in mind, and that is, stage direction. That is why I find it somewhat hilarious that people say that it is hard to read sarcasm and a number of other things in writing. The truth is, "they" can't, because "they" don't know how to read properly.

So, if one were to understand and read English properly they would know that "grammatically" the following are all correct:

So!
    So.
    So...
    So,

They are all meant to convey a different read and, as such, a different meaning, and different set of actions and personality. When the normal person types up, or writes up, whatever is they want someone to read, they don't take the grammar into consideration and they try to make it with a combination of what sounds right and what they remember from classes that teach wrongly which in turn causes some to read what isn't written and others to write what others can't read, but all of that is just one portion of it. It can find a rhythm, beat, melody, occurring in normal languages as well, but most of this stuff isn't picked up by your average reader in your average text.

If you are a role player of any sort, or an actor, you should really learn this, because taking out certain punctuation or changing up your textual rhythm completely changes the character that you are portraying a lot of times.

Technically speaking, all English teachers are con artists. English doesn't have any real rules, but rather conventions we have taken on, because other people have told us they are right.
    Ehm, this is true for all languages. The fact that linguistical "rules" come about organically by convention does not make those who teach the language "con artists".

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post
    Ehm, this is true for all languages. The fact that linguistical "rules" come about organically by convention does not make those who teach the language "con artists".
    There is a difference between "rules" that are actually governed by a presiding body that says what is and isn't part of the language, like the French, and "rules" that were made up by a single person a few hundred years ago for a specific purpose that other people decided to copy and then mistook as actual rules, but most people don't know what they mean, how to use them, and don't see a point in using most of them.

English Grammar especially was made up with a specific purpose in mind, and that is, stage direction. That is why I find it somewhat hilarious that people say that it is hard to read sarcasm and a number of other things in writing. The truth is, "they" can't, because "they" don't know how to read properly.

So, if one were to understand and read English properly they would know that "grammatically" the following are all correct:

So!
    So.
    So...
    So,

They are all meant to convey a different read and, as such, a different meaning, and different set of actions and personality. When the normal person types up, or writes up, whatever is they want someone to read, they don't take the grammar into consideration and they try to make it with a combination of what sounds right and what they remember from classes that teach wrongly which in turn causes some to read what isn't written and others to write what others can't read, but all of that is just one portion of it. It can find a rhythm, beat, melody, occurring in normal languages as well, but most of this stuff isn't picked up by your average reader in your average text.

If you are a role player of any sort, or an actor, you should really learn this, because taking out certain punctuation or changing up your textual rhythm completely changes the character that you are portraying a lot of times.
    No matter what rules someone goes by, either from "con artists" or whoever else that teaches the english language. The one thing someone learns very early on in the process of writing is this:

Do not write run-on sentences.

That's what the con-artists have stressed about for the last over9000 years.
    Last edited by Ioriya; Apr 17, 2012 at 04:53 PM.

Sometimes it's hard no to write run-on sentences if it's about the same topic. lol I understand though, not too many rules but there is always a proper way to write.
    ヽ(*⌒∇⌒*)ノ ヌル サヌラ -TWITTER (*^ワ^*)

No matter what rules someone goes by, either from "con artists" or whoever else that teaches the english language. The one thing someone learns very early on in the process of writing is this:

Do not write run-on sentences.

That's what the con-artists have stressed about for the last over 9000 years.
    It's definitely been over 9000 years.