Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

just another reason d3's RMT system SEEMS LIKE THE GREATEST IDEA

EVURRRRRR
    ラブ、アンド、ピース。
    -everything i type is completely serious and you should be offended no matter the content jaja-
    translated pre-OB skill trees link
    Ma name's Satoshi Sakai and I sell My room and My room accessories! Uh huh huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Akaimizu View Post
    SEGA actually isn't that great at dealing with Security.
    I say they aren't too bad. They have got a lot better since PSO v1, update your references.

If even Blizzard states hacking is inevitable, we cannot blame SEGA for not being able to prevent cheating.

As I have always said, what makes the difference is response time.

That's good guys. That means all the hackers are going for them instead and don't have time to bug us!
    Freezies proudly sporting his Fomar hat.

The account breaches with Diablo 3 are almost certainly mostly, if not entirely, from "hackers" gaining access to people's passwords beforehand through the use of keyloggers, phishing scams, etc. There is zero evidence that anything else was going on. The whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.

Use a strong password, don't fall for phishing scams, use features like the authenticator if available, use good anti-malware software, and practice safe web habits to keep malware off your machine in the first place (such as using the no-script plug-in for Firefox).

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post
    The account breaches with Diablo 3 are almost certainly mostly, if not entirely, from "hackers" gaining access to people's passwords beforehand through the use of keyloggers, phishing scams, etc. There is zero evidence that anything else was going on. The whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.

Use a strong password, don't fall for phishing scams, use features like the authenticator if available, use good anti-malware software, and practice safe web habits to keep malware off your machine in the first place (such as using the no-script plug-in for Firefox).
    if i could +rep you i would+^_^+ and my 2 cents, always check the URL at the top of the page before typing a password to make sure your on the right page+^_^+

Default Why hacking is good for SEGA

Quote Originally Posted by BWS-1 View Post
    Blizzard Says Diablo 3 Hacking Isn't Unusual

If Blizzard, of all people, say it isn't unusual to have so much hacking going on for online games, it makes me wonder ''so how does that online-only security argument goes again? Less chances to cheat when you're forced online?''. I guess it must be that and nothing else. No one can cheat to dupe items, but the door's wide open to let people get your stuff instead! Since ya know, you can't have the ''safety'' of having your character data stored offline, let alone a back-up. Too much chances to cheat. Instead, let's compromise EVERYONE's accounts by having it online-only. Sure, there will likely be less hackers, but you can be certain that the few that will be there will ''spread the love'' of their work to anyone and everyone who wants ''accounts'' or ''rares'' since they'll be the aces of the aces...
    Every software has vulnerability waiting to be discovered. The real issue is social engineering meaning some people willing to report a flaw into security which can be fixed or exploit it for malicious purpose like cheating. Hacker (in this sense tinkerers) are really useful for the company because they are often quicker to create a fix or even enhance the software.
    Japanese PSO2 Character
    Aliyah Tulumba Hunter

Or just play offline... o wait.

Point is; no offline = no safety for YOUR info, whether you practice ''make your machine a virtual fort Knox'' or not. I once ran WoW on a fresh format and nothing else ''unsafe'' and still got my account hacked anyway. Didn't have any detectable malwares either.

Not to mention nothing was ever ''remembered'' either. So where in the accursed heavens did I get a ''keylogger''? Then again, security flaws could have been from my exploitation system itself (Windows XP at the time), msn or firefox... or my anti-malware softwares (o the irony). But this just goes to show that careful or not, you're vulnerable. I accepted that reality for WoW as I figured ''well, that's an MMO, it's going to happen at some point I guess''.

But it's just that the thing which might have contributed to the ''blowing out of proportion'' of the Diablo III issue is that it wouldn't have been an existing issue had the game support offline. And seeing that, on that part, SEGA is heading down the same path with PSO2, that's what worries me. (Not to mention the issues with PSU and player rooms being robbed).

Well, let's hope for the best support from SEGA should any of that occur. Can you imagine if blizzard didn't ''fix'' people's hacked/robbed accounts? Not that I find they'd HAVE to when/if it's people's negligence, but if you're a law-abiding ''internet user'' with nothing wrongful running, just your WoW and your exploitation system, feels kind of weird to end up getting nasty surprises anyway. And if they wouldn't restore my account and character data, I'd be done paying for a game that is nothing but Russian roulette. It's something SEGA has to keep watch of, since unlike Blizzard, they won't end up with billions of people playing PSO2, and even though Blizzard DID have a tremendous popularity, they didn't let THAT be an excuse to give into shitty customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by BWS-1 View Post
    But it's just that the thing which might have contributed to the ''blowing out of proportion'' of the Diablo III issue is that it wouldn't have been an existing issue had the game support offline. And seeing that, on that part, SEGA is heading down the same path with PSO2, that's what worries me. (Not to mention the issues with PSU and player rooms being robbed).
    I'm with you as far as Diablo III is concerned: not allowing offline play (that's 100% separated from online play, of course) was a bullcrap move. Diablo was never a strictly online game, and in fact by Blizzard's own admission, a majority of Diablo II players never went online (and I'm sure it was even more so for Diablo 1).

However, PSO is a rather different matter. While you could play offline, PSO was always meant to be, and sold as, a cooperative online game. While I still don't agree with not providing support for (again, completely separate) offline play, I can't blame SEGA to the same degree as Blizzard with Diablo III. Further, with the F2P model, it's a little more difficult, although they could simply sell the offline mode for, say, $20, and I'm sure more than a few would shell out for that.

Plus, offline mode doesn't do anything for the security of those who want to go online.

That isn't really the case though, there are people that state they use strong passwords getting hacked, and even if some weren't telling the truth, a few people reported that they their account got compromised even though they used those fancy mobile authenticators you can buy.

You know, these things...

And considering these things are set to change the multi-digit authentication code over decently short periods of time it's not very likely some cases were hacked in the normal manner.

From some sources it seemed like a possibility was that hackers were somehow able to obtain access to using the account by accessing information/server permission using older play session info. How someone would access that I'm not sure of, it could be through simple player info that's already available to any player or it could be through an error/hole in the game's security. Considering the errors and some in game glitches that were apparent at launch I could see it as a probably case that Blizzard might have overlooked something in the game's system.
    Last edited by Shadownami92; May 24, 2012 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finalzone View Post
    Hacker (in this sense tinkerers) are really useful for the company because they are often quicker to create a fix or even enhance the software.
    Yup. Bank robbers are great for banks too. As are pick-pockets and cat buglars for tourists and home owners.