Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think unless you have one of those million dollar super computers, this is pretty much inevitable to happen. I don't have the best of the best type of rigs, but with an AMD 6 core overclocked to 3.1 ghz and a 3gb Radeon 6970, I still saw a few people "teleporting" short distances when they were running somewhere, but it rarely happened whether the lobby was full or just dead.

I did record some where there was some choppiness in the lobby, but meh Fraps hates me so I blame it.
    "If you set a course for the moon and merely found the stars, then you will miss that which you have set forth."
    -Kevin Finn as Ninja

I'm on a rather wonky connection right now (21 hours to download the patch, lol), and I noticed some chugging when running through crowded lobbies before it had fully loaded all the people in it. Having the graphics settings set to either 1 or 5 didn't make any difference.

It's not much of a bother in the long run, but I hope to be moving to a better connection in a few weeks.

Skilled Fighter

Based on experimentation I've done with my system, I'm pretty sure Aeris' comment about gpu is probably the most accurate.

Even with an i7 2500k, I could only get around 25-40 FPS with a Radeon HD 6750, max settings 1080p. My best benchmark score was 1600~ range.

I swapped out my graphics card for an NVIDIA GTX 570, factory overclock, and my FPS shot up to 80-155 with a benchmark score of 13,000~ range, same settings.

The #1 setting that leads to heavy GPU consumption is turning on the HQ shaders. By simply turning off the shaders options, even my Radeon HD 6750 could get 200+ FPS and a 42,000 benchmark score. I didn't bother testing this with my GTX 570.

The only concern with having a good CPU is making sure that your CPU isn't the reason why your graphics card is bottlenecking and not running at near 100% potential.

I had 0 lobby lag with my GTX 570.

EDIT:

My internet connection to Tokyo, Japan:

My internet connection locally:

WOW.
    Last edited by Vylera; Jun 17, 2012 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Terminology fix

Game is more in favor for nvidia gpus than it is for radeon since its optimized for nvidia for the game, but if you had a SSD, HDD+SSD or a Ram Disk, you probably be less choppy loading player models in lobby but a standard HD is why its so choppy/shuttering loading every player model you see in lobbies depending on many you set it in options in game how many you want to load.

Skilled Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
    Game is more in favor for nvidia gpus than it is for radeon since its optimized for nvidia for the game, but if you had a SSD, HDD+SSD or a Ram Disk, you probably be less choppy loading player models in lobby but a standard HD is why its so choppy/shuttering loading every player model you see in lobbies depending on many you set it in options in game how many you want to load.
    I've heard of SSDs being able to start up faster, but I've never heard of SSDs being the reason why a game runs faster.

I run on standard 7200 RPM HDD with 64 MB cache and I don't suffer from choppiness.

Donno why though, mine is like 7200 RPM with 16MB of cache and its very choppy until all models are loaded up even i do lower settings, its still doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vylera View Post
    The #1 setting that leads to heavy GPU consumption is turning on the HQ textures.
    are you sure bro? it seems like a lot of people are saying (as well as myself) it's HQ shaders, not textures...

textures in fact seem to have no FPS effect/benchmark effect at all, in my case. and i'm using laptop gfx.
    ラブ、アンド、ピース。
    -everything i type is completely serious and you should be offended no matter the content jaja-
    translated pre-OB skill trees link
    Ma name's Satoshi Sakai and I sell My room and My room accessories! Uh huh huh!

Skilled Fighter

What do your other specs look like?

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by deldelight8 View Post
    are you sure bro? it seems like a lot of people are saying (as well as myself) it's HQ shaders, not textures...

textures in fact seem to have no FPS effect/benchmark effect at all, in my case. and i'm using laptop gfx.
    Excuse my typo, thanks for correcting me. I mix up the two words quite often. Fix'd in original post.

Last edited by Vylera; Jun 17, 2012 at 02:39 AM.

I've got an SSD and I did notice stuttering in the lobby. I have, like, a 0.3 Mb/s download speed from Tokyo, though. ~300 ms ping.

Quote Originally Posted by Vylera View Post
    Excuse my typo, thanks for correcting me. I mix up the two words quite often. Fix'd in original post.
    yeah turning off shaders help a lot but then everybody looks like ghosts : (
    ラブ、アンド、ピース。
    -everything i type is completely serious and you should be offended no matter the content jaja-
    translated pre-OB skill trees link
    Ma name's Satoshi Sakai and I sell My room and My room accessories! Uh huh huh!