Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RocSage View Post
    I think I'm pretty good at dodging but i still get hit and get into spots where it is impossible to dodge.

As I said i don't think i have seen much damage increase from where i am now, but defense looks to do a lot more so +0 perceptual dmg output vs less damage taken it seems that even if it is made useless by dodging for the most part it is still better to take less damage when you do get hit than effectively adding what seems like nothing by adding more ATK

Get what I'm saying?
    in what situations do you claim it's impossible to dodge? it's silly, but even the panther duo attacks can be completely dodged if you constantly run perpendicular to them. the only possible problem is when the king panther does the growl and then the lunging reverse swipes

the small guy shouldn't matter because by then all his claws should be broken so he just slips andslides everywhere
    ラブ、アンド、ピース。
    -everything i type is completely serious and you should be offended no matter the content jaja-
    translated pre-OB skill trees link
    Ma name's Satoshi Sakai and I sell My room and My room accessories! Uh huh huh!

The unit requirements for units aren't high at all.
    The requirements to wear the strongest units in the game are pretty high. But hey, if you aren't going to put points into defense, why should you get to wear strong armor?

The same goes for weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    I am also annoyed at how ABSURDLY HIGH the def requirements for units are.

They are so ABSURDLY HIGH that you cannot reach them unless you put tons of points into defenses AND put talent/mastery/whatever-the-fuck points into your class's respective def-type.

However, this has much less to do with mags having defensive stats and much more to do with Sega just being a bit dickish with regards to item attribute requirements...
    Well, if you decide to specialize yourself in defense, I think it's normal that you get rewarded somehow. It wouldn't be fun if there was ONE single viable build per class with slight variations.

It also allows them to make you buy additional skill trees/mags, obviously:3

I should clarify: I think attribute requirements are a bit shit to begin with. The benefits of specializing in attack or defense should make themselves known through actual combat, not what you're allowed or not allowed to equip.

But then, as a player who is 99% focused on the vanity side of the game, being unable to use anything I like the appearance of is an immediate turn off. YMMV.

I should clarify: I think attribute requirements are a bit shit to begin with. The benefits of specializing in attack or defense should make themselves known through actual combat, not what you're allowed or not allowed to equip.

But then, as a player who is 99% focused on the vanity side of the game, being unable to use anything I like the appearance of is an immediate turn off. YMMV.
    I thought these games were always about equipment, so it shouldn't be a surprise at this point

Some vanity items you can thankfully just buy, whether through players who gambled with real money or through their shops. Some require you to build up your character - unique equipment is one example - and you can either level up, build your skill tree towards or, or spec a mag for it. This takes awhile, if not months for level caps. Skill trees and Mags can be messed with to a degree using real money.

If you can't equip something you like, then build your character towards it. Personally this system makes much more sense to me than "you must be level 23 to equip this shield", and between mags/skills/levelling you have tons more flexibility equipping gear than most other RPG-like games. And really the extra stat you need isn't a huge chunk unless you are hell-bent on glass-cannon builds.

Ship02 RA40 - Artemis (Jey)

Spoiler!

Able to just barely use the Vol Dragon armor AND that 9* hotdog rifle with the ridiculous R-ATK requirement. (pic was taken before I bought said rifle)

Grinded the armor pieces to +10 and the defense bonuses are fantastic. I'm taking half the damage of all my friends now.
    Last edited by Macman; Jul 19, 2012 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorafim View Post
    I think the general consensus is that defense is kind of a waste. You can (theoretically) dodge everything, but you can only kill so fast if all your attacks hit. So attack scales better with skill, while defense scales worse.
    So, if you're skilled, attack is more noticeable. If you're not, defense may be more useful.
    Actually this is kinda wrong, some of the more rare units can have some nice abilities on them that increase R atk way more than how useful some ability would be on your mag. It just depends how good the units you have are or are trying to get. Some of the more skilled players have some good abilities/souls on their units like my +10 units. Helps with my R attack and in the future when they implement creatures/attacks that will be doing unavoidable damage, you will thank yourself greatly for the R def you have then, assuming you're a Ranger, Hunters can have good units too Right now though I think Forces are the ones with no 9 star units. (and also you don't necessarily have to go for the unit that provides def for your attack type, it just all depends on the abilities as I said.)
    PSO 2 Chararcters:
    Sniper Wolf- RA/HUnewearl main PHnewearl (current)Ship 02 (CBT participant)

Proud leader of Newearls Luv PP

HP is a much better defensive stat IMO because it covers all three DEF types. I only see DEF having a benefit for armor stat requirements, and that's about it.

And I agree, they're pretty high, but I'm not gonna spend points on it just to shorten that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iroquois Pliskin View Post
    Actually this is kinda wrong, some of the more rare units can have some nice abilities on them that increase R atk way more than how useful some ability would be on your mag.

I think Forces are the ones with no 9 star units.
    That's true for any unit.

And those were added with mines, actually