Page 39 of 122 FirstFirst ... 29363738394041424989 ... LastLast

Actually on v2, hunters are far superior to rangers, maybe he was refering to that game.
    Rangers and forces got improved and got versatility, on v2 going around paralizing enemies at a distance could become problematic, you would do litle damage, miss sometimes and few specials actually made a difference, hunters on the hand kill enemies.

I wouldn't rule out forces just yet. From the 2 FO videos I've seen, none of them used any other tech besides Foie and they didn't even charge it. What if there's splash damage? Or higher SE proc rate? That's only 1 tech. PSO had 11 attack techs. PSU had even more. Considering FOs have only been getting better in the 2 latest games, PSPo2i and PSZ, I'll wait to pass judgment until more is shown. Someone confirmed a Razonde disk in one of these videos; we just need a FO to post a video of them using it, with charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Stezan View Post
    I wouldn't rule out forces just yet. From the 2 FO videos I've seen, none of them used any other tech besides Foie and they didn't even charge it. What if there's splash damage? Or higher SE proc rate? That's only 1 tech. PSO had 11 attack techs. PSU had even more. Considering FOs have only been getting better in the 2 latest games, PSPo2i and PSZ, I'll wait to pass judgment until more is shown. Someone confirmed a Razonde disk in one of these videos; we just need a FO to post a video of them using it, with charge.
    Razonde is in the alpha? Want to see! Want to see!

*Cyan hopes for Rafoie.

Quote Originally Posted by cyanprime View Post
    Razonde is in the alpha? Want to see! Want to see!

*Cyan hopes for Rafoie.
    It's almost definitely the same AOE lighting spell we saw in the media briefing videos/pics.

PSO Forces were balanced very well. They were built around killing without doing damage directly.

But the moment you give them the ability to do great damage...they get broken. PSU Rangers were boring as balls, i'd never main one no matter how strong they were. You basically strafe around and watch numbers pop up. They were soooooo borrrrinngggggg.....

They need to nerf the PP Regain on these characters IMO. In fact, im kind of surprised everyone can recover so fast. I guess this means Fluids are once again omitted?

Gifoie better be a spinning ball. With the really pretty partical effects they got going for Fire (very PSO like GO SEGA for particle engines and not ugly explosion effects like in PSU), i wanna see it look like the artist rendering in PSO Ep.III!

And...since this is PSO2, it should look like that, except span the ENTIRE ROOM at lv 26 like in PSO.

Forces would once again be godlike.
    Last edited by Serephim; Aug 20, 2011 at 05:29 PM.

Did you play PSP2? PP regen is about the same.

If you think it's bad now(although I don't), on the higher levels of the Force skill tree there is a skill which increases the rate of PP regen.
    Last edited by •Col•; Aug 20, 2011 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrith View Post
    Rangers were better by far in PSO, and better by a clear margin in PSU. But they took way more skill to perform so well.

Rangers will always be the best unless they completely nerf their damage. It's how ranged classes are designed, you attack from a distance, and there is little to no attack animation, so when a hunter deals higher damage, you deal lower damage but faster (no need to get close) and several times.
    It's part of the design of all ranged classes/characters in all games, not just the Phantasy Star franchise. The only solution is to reduce their damage by a huge amount, in which case the class would become pointless, etc, etc.
    That implies that damage is the only thing Rangers are capable of doing.

The original intention of the class in PSO, was that they would support other classes by shooting enemies encroaching on teammates and causing them to flinch, and having the accuracy necessary to land shots from weapons that can inflict status effects with their Extra Attacks.

Basically, the idea was that with guns, damage was not the point of their attacks, as Rangers were intended to be supportive in nature, leaving the killing of things to the Hunters, but it's still important that they be able to chip in damage as well (just as with Forces and their offensive techniques). In practice, it turned out being an unrealized dynamic that people, more often than not, just ignored. But, you know, if they took the time and effort out to make it so that Rangers were encouraged to inflict status effects and suppress enemies, rather than focus on outright killing them, it's something that might still work - the class wouldn't be "useless," due to low damage, and it wouldn't be overpowered due to its damage being too high.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    That implies that damage is the only thing Rangers are capable of doing.

The original intention of the class in PSO, was that they would support other classes by shooting enemies encroaching on teammates and causing them to flinch, and having the accuracy necessary to land shots from weapons that can inflict status effects with their Extra Attacks.

Basically, the idea was that with guns, damage was not the point of their attacks, as Rangers were intended to be supportive in nature, leaving the killing of things to the Hunters, but it's still important that they be able to chip in damage as well (just as with Forces and their offensive techniques). In practice, it turned out being an unrealized dynamic that people, more often than not, just ignored. But, you know, if they took the time and effort out to make it so that Rangers were encouraged to inflict status effects and suppress enemies, rather than focus on outright killing them, it's something that might still work - the class wouldn't be "useless," due to low damage, and it wouldn't be overpowered due to its damage being too high.
    I could see them attempting that with PSO2. The nice thing about rangers is that they're "safe" consistent damage. With things like jump they can find excellent vantage points to take out enemies without endangering themselves. While the damage on the grenade launcher is nice, the knockback that sends enemies up into the air is even more awesome. This sets up free hits for the hunters without the fear of retaliation.

I'm confident that if the developers know anything about balance, rangers won't be outdamaging their counterparts. There are other ways for a class to be useful to a team then just sheer damage output.
    "I prefer my history dead. Dead history is writ in ink, the living sort in blood."
    Images in signatures cannot exceed 50,000 bytes. The image in your signature was 73,652 bytes.

Quote Originally Posted by Colaya View Post
    If you think it's bad now(although I don't), on the higher levels of the Force skill tree which increases the rate of PP regen.
    Well with the faster tech casting and how the spells should scale the pp regen better go up because my use will skyrocket.