Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

I'd love to see PSO2 on the Wii-U

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    While there are some good points to keeping PSO2 on the PC, I don't think the vast majority of commonly asserted "horrors" to come from a multiplatform release would really hold up to critical inquiry.
    I have to agree. The game could easily be done on a console and still have alot more added to it using DLC. It wouldn't be hard to pull off providing that SEGA can release updates and content at a decent pace.

That being said, were Microsoft really the reason Sega couldn't release things for PSU? I can't see Microsoft being the sole reason why the US/EU servers of Phantasy Star Universe are one and a half years behind the JP PC servers. I can expect things to be slightly slower, but the huge gap has left me wondering. If anything, I would blame SEGA themselves.

Porting the game to consoles wouldn't restrict SEGA in any way. PSO was also on consoles, when it could've easily been on computers (which it was, actually, looking at V2/BB) for 'no content limitations', yet there were no complaints about PSO being on consoles.

Further, the decision to continue using GameGuard as a security measure does not inspire confidence.
    I would love to know why companies continue to use GameGuard. I have heard everything about this GameGuard negatively, ranging from giving trojans and being absolutely lackluster when it comes to security.

Cost, perhaps?

Remember, PSU also launched on the PC, and it was the cheaters and security issues which drove the exodus of remaining players to the 360 version. Further, were the PC so attractive of a stand-alone platform for online Phantasy Star game management, then why shut down the PC version rather than just cut the PS2 and 360 loose so as to more freely implement and manage content... a move similar to what they did in Japan?
    Simple: Revenue. They were making so much more from the 360 version in the West due to the 360 being revered as the best console. They shut down the PC/PS2 servers due to the "lack of players", which was probably caused by themselves, especially after the bug/glitch I've heard about that stopped people from playing during the MAG event.

I'm pretty sure you already know why the 360 version was continued in the West, but I thought I'd post for... slower readers.

I can see PSO2 making its way to a console, especially in the West, as the majority of gamers are on the Xbox 360 rather than the computer, but it all depends what revenue they obtain from the West on the PC. On the other hand, they may just shut down the servers prematurely, as they did with Blue Burst in the West, due to a declining population and lack of revenue compared to Japan.

Remember, everything is done for money. While Sakai does say the game will be on PC only, it all depends on how well it is received finacially in the West.

Though personally, if it was ported to a console, I would rather it be on the PS3 than the 360. While people do complain about Sony's security issues after the PSN outage, I honestly cannot believe that it was because of very lax security. There's going to be someone out there with the skills to take something down through some sort of exploit; it's just a matter of someone finding it and doing it.
    PSP2: Matt - Male Cast - 16x - HU 15/RA 2/FO 1/VA 30

Quote Originally Posted by Zynetic View Post
    Though personally, if it was ported to a console, I would rather it be on the PS3 than the 360. While people do complain about Sony's security issues after the PSN outage, I honestly cannot believe that it was because of very lax security. There's going to be someone out there with the skills to take something down through some sort of exploit; it's just a matter of someone finding it and doing it.
    You do know they stored the passwords as plain text, right?

I really don't think the game will do any better or worse just because it is PC only. There are plenty of people still playing PSO:BB, and it's PC only, ten years old, and running on a buggy, unofficial, hacked together server.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    Ironically, we've had far more respectful and productive discussions on the topic of religion, than we've yet had on PSO2 and consoles. Politics is probably still a bad idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if we could have a discussion there that's less volatile as well.
    I think that as far as religion goes, it's easy to be respectful as long as other's beliefs don't intrude on their own. However, everyone has a vested interest in what platform PSO2 will be on, so I think topic on it get heated pretty quickly. Everyone wants to enjoy PSO2 to it's full extent, that much everyone can agree on.

Beyond the trolls and elitists, though, I think a significant portion of the opposition to a console release stems from an irrational blaming of console platforms in general for the failure of PSU due to assumed or asserted inherent faults. Some of this may also have been bolstered by Sega's own excuses for why they couldn't support their own game... which to me don't really hold water given their notoriety for post-hoc excuses to spin bad business decisions. A recent example of which being the whole "unique content"/"two different products" bag of shit.
    Agreed, PSU definitely had a bad business plan, but they kept up support and kept a healthy population on the JP PC servers, proving that they have it in them. I don't think it was as much as a technical problem as much as they didn't care to spend the time to keep the US servers updated. I don't think they were in a cultural or geographic position to respond to the needs of the NA servers. I have to hand it to the NA Sega GM's, it looked like RubyEclipse did try and kept tabs on PSO-World.

As far as PSO2 goes, I don't think it's platform as much as our best chances of getting new content, updates and maintaining the services is going to be linked servers with the JP side, just so we can coincidentally reap the benefits of the effort they put into their local side.

All I can say is, if by some miracle it comes to consoles. Please please let it hit PS3 and not 360. Canceling 360 PSU was the biggest pain ever, had to call Microsoft which means 80% of the time you'll be speaking to India.

I'd rather it be on the 360 so all my info doesn't get stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by BioWarrior View Post
    All I can say is, if by some miracle it comes to consoles. Please please let it hit PS3 and not 360. Canceling 360 PSU was the biggest pain ever, had to call Microsoft which means 80% of the time you'll be speaking to India.
    I've had to make a few calls to Xbox Support, but I've had no problems at any point - and only once did I get someone who sounded vaguely-foreign. Most of the time it was either a neutrally-accented and slightly-overexcited guy, or what sounded like a nice lady from the west coast.

But it's worth noting that canceling my PSO and PSU licenses literally took about a minute (not counting time on hold, of course - which is typically pretty short unless it's during the holidays). I do agree that they should let you do that kind of thing online though - especially since Microsoft does almost literally everything else online, anyway.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by cyanprime View Post
    I'd rather it be on the 360 so all my info doesn't get stolen.
    I'd rather it be on PS3 so that I don't have to pay for an online service I wouldn't care to use on top of my Hunter License.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
    I'd rather it be on PS3 so that I don't have to pay for an online service I wouldn't care to use on top of my Hunter License.
    PSU could be played with a silver account!

STOP TALKINGGGG!!!

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.