Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Need advice on building a good Hunter D:

Hello everyone this will be my first post.
    It's a pleasure.

I started about a couple of days ago and want some tips/advice on how i should build my hunter. Also what is "Just Attack" means?

Thanks

A just attack is when you use an attack when the red circle appears around your character from a previous attack/action. This grants a damage boost to that properly timed attack. Hunters revolve around boosting that.

Go straight for Step Attack and Just Guard, these are the focal abilities of the class. Just Reversal is also recommended.

After that make a beeline for all 3 gears, as those complete each hunter weapon. Then you can focus on damage, tank, or a mix (I suggest straight damage or a mix leaning towards damage).

Congatulations on choosing Hunter, the main class in game! Here are useful notes for playing as Hunter.

At one point of time SEGA decided that it was a good idea to put varying attacks in game. As retarded as it may seem, on of said attacks, Over End is surprisingly good (search "phantasy star over end" on youtube to know what I mean) and warrants basing your playstyle around it.
    As soon as you have enough money, buy Over End from other players. The battle sequence will be as follows:

1 Jump. (This step has multiple purposes: it looks stylish, it puts you in a place safer than ground, it saves from retarded forward movement.)
    2 Swing the sword. (There is a window after each attack. If you begin next attack during this window, it will be boosted. In practice this means that you have to swing your sword before every Over End. Putting this system into game was another retarded idea from SEGA. Bear with it, it's not that annoying.)
    3 Use Over End.

Now, useful notes on skill tree.

Duration of first two swings of Over End is most dangerous time. You are unable to dash away from incoming attacks or block them. There are attack and combos that can eat away most of your health bar or reduce it to zero. To prevent it, invest skill points into Automate Halfline. When capped, it will use recovery item on you as soon as you health falls below 50%. Be wary that you can be hit again while recovery item is being used, and even if it makes your health go below 50%, Automate Halfline will not trigger again. This, however, will not happen frequently, so Automate Halfline will render you virtually immortal while you have recovery items in stock. You may want to increase your maximum health so that your survivability improves. You can do it by wearing armor that gives bonus to health points and affixing both stamina (affixing third level is relatively easy) and stamina boost on each piece of armor. Another useful skill to get is Sword Gear, that increases Over End's range.

Before getting to build planning I'll give insight on skills that you will, either way, not have enough skill points to spend on, just for the sake of completion.

Wired Lance and Partisan Gears - give additional properties to weapons you will never use.
    War Cry - attracts attention of enemies. Obviously, it doesn't improve your performance.
    Iron Will - gives 75% chance to survive lethal attack, which will not happen due to Automate Halfline.
    Massive Hunter - active skill that you can use to reduce damage and to prevent flinch and knockback roughly a quarter of time, while Over End protects you from it all the time. Naturally it is a useless skill.
    Just Reversal is, too, made obsolete by Over End.
    Absorbtion - restores your health each time an enemy dies. Naturally, it is useless against bosses, where health is most important.
    Guard Stance Poison and Guard Stance Burn - prevent DoTs from hurting you, while you will not get DoTs often.
    Just Guard - nullifies damage already almost nullified by normal guard, that you don't have to time. Neither this skill, nor Just Counter warrant wasting precious skill points.
    Step Advance - prolongates invincibility during dash by insignificant period.
    Step Attack - one of most retarded skills in game. Allows to begin attacking after a dash a bit earlier. That's right, it allows you to attack faster someone you got away from. I repeat: it improves your performance against targets that are away from you, a melee fighter. Whoever wastes skill points on this piece of shit is an idiot beyond redemption who should choke on horse semen.

In order to maximise your performance against enemy you should learn one simple formula. Suppose, a monster has M health and you attacks it with D dps, then it will take M/D time to kill it. During that time monster will use I dps to chop C health from you, so M/D = C/I or M*(I/D)=C. M is constant for any given enemy and C is the value you want lowered, meaning you want to increase value of 1/C, or, as I took a liking to calling it, your performance. So, performance is directly proportional to dealt damage and inversely proportional to recieved damage.

Following calculations do not take static bonuses from skill tree into account for the sake of simplicity. There bonuses are too insignificant to alter the outcome anyway.

Default skill tree gives performance a multiplier of 1. Let's try increasing it.
    http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/ski...000000lb00000f
    1.03*1.25*1.1*1.1*1.2≈1.86 (This is performance multiplier against shooting and casting enemies)
    1.03*1.25/1.05*1.1*1.1*1.2≈1.78 (This is performance multiplier against melee enemies)
    There are three types of damage: melee, shooting and technic. Most often you will have to deal with first type, but there are areas where second one is prevalent.

Now, let's invest into defence side of skill tree.
    This build boost performance against casters by 1.35 against shooters by 1.48 and against strikers by 1.98.

Let's balance two subtrees.
    1.89 against melee enemies, almost as good as previous build.
    2.05 against shooting enemies, a significant improvement.
    1.65 against casters, again, an improvement.

If you are not buying additional trees, go with the third build. You will have to activate Fury Stance every 10 minutes (introducing a skill that has to be periodically reactivated is yet another retarded idea from SEGA), but it's not something you can't bear with.

Once again, congratulations on choosing Hunter. Also, while playing as one of secondary classes is as retarded as playing a Mario game as Luigi, you should not berate other players because of their class. Look at the bright side of their choice to not play main game: they willingly remove themselves from spotlight, so you may shine as a main character.

Good hunting!

Build that pretty much everyone uses with some points left over in fighter tree.

I suggest getting just reversal on Fighter you can suffice with JG alone on HU as you lvl to 30 if you feel you cannot survive with just Just Guard then opt for Just reversal on HU.

Sig by Gama

Do HU or FI ever use gunslash much? I only use it as a force for PP regen.

What weapons do people general stick to for each class (Fi/Hu/Ra/Gu)?

Does anyone use gunslash outside of force/techer and people who use it just cause they feel like it?
    [All Class] Nue Houjuu / [GuHu] Remilia Scarlet from Ship 02.
    74HU - 52FI - 71RA - 60GU - 75FO - 75TE - 75BR - 66BO | 68GU - 62HU - 47RA
    Leader of team Touhou.
    Community owner/developer of TF2Data | Now playing: VRChat

Quote Originally Posted by Chdata View Post
    Do HU or FI ever use gunslash much? I only use it as a force for PP regen.

What weapons do people general stick to for each class (Fi/Hu/Ra/Gu)?

Does anyone use gunslash outside of force/techer and people who use it just cause they feel like it?
    Additional Bullet is probably the best PA you can use for entrance/exit bursts IMO as a HU or FI. Aside from that, Aiming Shot is pretty good on Ranger. That's about it though.

You might as well just call it a gun, since there isn't a single person I know who has ever swung the melee portion of a gunslash with the intent to kill.

ダーク ファルス 【守護者】

I personally would go for Fi/Hu.

http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/ski...Ib0000Ib000008

Lv15 Backhand mash does massive damage. However, if you don't want to fight that close, you can use Double Sabers with Photon Art, Deadly Archer.
    This build can be use both ways. I personally barely used Sword Gear. Keep in mind that if do use this, you'll be a glass cannon. Strong, but weak.
    Last edited by Shinamori; Aug 3, 2013 at 08:20 PM.

Spoiler!

This is the best post I've ever seen.

Yes it would be a good post if it wasn't ridiculously inaccurate in a colorful variety of ways, and some of the the tips in there are downright stupid.

Step Attack - one of most retarded skills in game. Allows to begin attacking after a dash a bit earlier. That's right, it allows you to attack faster someone you got away from. I repeat: it improves your performance against targets that are away from you, a melee fighter. Whoever wastes skill points on this piece of shit is an idiot beyond redemption who blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
    lol ok. I really hope this wasn't serious because this right here is a golden example of the most misguided nonsense ever spoken on this forum.

Though from a sarcastic perspective, it's decently humorous.
    Last edited by Zipzo; Aug 3, 2013 at 09:31 PM.