Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

PSO was not a very good game. Lots of nostalgia associated, but the community since then does their best to kill that.

PSU was great.

PSO2 is best.

PSU improved many things from PSO, and PSO2 improves many things from PSU, and the handheld games in the middle (DS and PSP) "tested" many things that are now on PSO2. Different games, different appeals, and different memories, but all of them as a whole I suppose. I'm usually more in the "progress boat" than the nostalgia one, and while knowing each game has its flaws, I've never had a problem enjoying them.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePendragon View Post
    PSO was not a very good game. Lots of nostalgia associated, but the community since then does their best to kill that.

PSU was great.

PSO2 is best.
    You're discrediting good gamedesign. It's something you gotta be able to see and appreciate when it's good, even when the execution has aged. I mean conceptually PSO1 is really amazing.

Let me put it this way. If PSO2 was made today, with the state of mind they had then(I assume very passionate), without a doubt i'd say it could have been an incredible game today.

Probably not, no. I got PSO on the back of being a huge PS classics fan & purely by chance I saw the Japanese version of PSO in a local one off games shop. I went home, had a google & was by chance already getting a Dreamcast for Christmas. PSO was promptly added to the list for Santa.

I was young enough that Christmas was still a huge deal & so there was a build up of excitement.

It was my first online RPG & I was absolutely hooked. Many teenage years spent on the DC & GC versions of the game, often 20+ hours a day. Some of my best friends came from PSO & I still dabble in Blue Burst.

So PSO is kind of special.

While I thoroughly enjoyed PSU, it never quite grabbed me in the same way, my life had changed by then & I never got to through myself into it properly. I was only really beginning to enjoy it when the server shutdown was announced.

It's taken me a while to make a character I like in PSO2 & I've finally settled on Ship 2 after moving around a lot. I think the game it's self is as a good as PSO & better than PSU - but you can't really recreate the same thing twice in terms of memories etc.

If the servers shut down tomorrow? Probably not. Then again the game is not as old as the other two major entries so maybe that's why for me.

I do say some of my favorite memories of this game was of the days when we only had hard and level 40. Back when a zone boss popped it had some weight instead of just being another E code to clear.

It's one of the few reasons I am looking forward to a localize version if they start that far back. That and it's a chance for them to rebalance things like skill trees without worrying about back lash from players.

It feels like they are trying to get us back to that point but who knows if they can.
    Laxedrane - Ship 10| Force-70 Hunter-70 Techer-70 Braver-70 Bouncer-70
    Darrin- Ship 10 Ranger-62 Gunner-65 Force-1 Techer-0
    Ismaire- Ship 10 Hunter-51 Braver-51 Bounder-1

I would but not the same way, and not because i don't like it. I'm older now, I just don't get the same feeling from games or nostalgic attachment.

Even replaying really old games I loved doesn't have the same effect. Nothing is ever as good as you remember it to be.

But I will remember this game because there are a lot of things this game has done that breaks the mold completely for Online MMO's and that future games need to be doing some of the great NON-WOW things PSO2 has done.

(And to those saying the game was better early on... No, it really wasn't, just the noob factor and what you understand has changed)
    Last edited by FacelessRed; Jan 21, 2014 at 06:56 AM.

as pso2 is now i dont think i will, maybe after a few years if it has more to do than run in a circle for hours, run the same 5 maps for money, or hope mining defense is next hour. rare weapons that are more than a skin and higher damage would be nice, as well as some semblance of balance.

though i think the real reason is compared to pso pso2 feels like it lacks the atmosphere(something i blame on the awful randomly generated maps)

Quote Originally Posted by BusterNewman View Post
    but you can't really recreate the same thing twice in terms of memories etc.
    Pretty much this. PSO2 has obvious flaws yeah, but it's impossible for PSO2 to ever have the same WOW effect that PSO1 did. The two games are set in a completely different time period almost really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    We threw our eyes away a long time ago.
    #coatl4173 on discord if you wanna squad up.

pso was a simple game with a strong core gameplay.

pso's market was pretty much photon drop/sphere transactions, and that was it.

pso2 is fun to play casually but when you try to play more seriously you will go insane.

pso2's market is over complicated with lots and lots of trash, trading is disabled unless your premium, thanks to crafting the overflow of crap is being replaced by frags.

the game is ruled by not so random rng

and unless youre like giga or lucky you will probably fail to grasp the game entirely.

the fact that sega is unable to understand that every class should be balanced and excel in different tasks, makes class/subclass selection rocketscience.

making a good weapon on pso was pretty much finding it and grinding it.

on pso2 you need to find the weapon, fail to grind it eventually finaly grind it, then unlock it, regrind it, unlock, regrind, wich is a very frustrating process for someone who wants to play.

then like said previously by others sega just slaps bandages on the game, oh braver isnt good? ok have some op boosts here to make every other class useless.

oh forces are weak? ok have a power boost.

oh the game is too hard? ok well make the enemies dumb as hell. like higher dificulty should mean higher dificulty not just more hp.

i could go on for ages.

and finaly.

nostalgia is a bitch because were not going to be 12 again and we will never feel like we did on pso, so we will forever feel that the game isnt good enought because it does not deliver the same sensation we had when we were 12.
    Graphics Designer/Product Designer/Illustrator/General handy guy/not taking any requests right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Agitated_AT View Post
    You're discrediting good gamedesign. It's something you gotta be able to see and appreciate when it's good, even when the execution has aged. I mean conceptually PSO1 is really amazing.

Let me put it this way. If PSO2 was made today, with the state of mind they had then(I assume very passionate), without a doubt i'd say it could have been an incredible game today.

It was good, given what they were capable of at the time. It does not hold up well at all. Hell, it didn't hold up well a few years after release.