Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

No. I wouldn't say that. Heck, some of us Japanese players learned new stuff *after* the US version came out. When it came to this game, not everything was revealed or understood while just the Japanese version was out.

But even then, this game did have some neat stuff, tucked away, that we had to discover along the way. But any good Phantasy Star online game does that. It has plenty of easy-access features that a player can jump in with, but more things to discover as they play. Not only that, other differences that come with playing online and with a different set of players on different maps. There are some interesting setups or traps, switches, etc. that don't show their heads until you eventually land the proper random setup of a particular location to see.

How chained PBs work is another thing I didn't know much about until the US version, as well. I got a recent PB that has a pretty good 2 chain bonus. What it does is put a good level of both buffs on your party members and both debuffs on the enemy. It's great to see them work together because it's like having a 4X damage modifier.

To the credit of this game, coming up with a true random map configuration, was an idea that works better than what one first sees. While initially, the building blocks of the random maps don't immediately impress; what you may run into when all parts come together, can be unique. It goes a long way to keeping things fresh, even if you run the same map locale over and over again.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Nov 24, 2009 at 12:38 PM.

I thought PSZ possibly took place after PSO when Sarisa was talking about a book she borrowed me about two hunters that saved the world. Maybe they where Rico & Flowen. She also mentions about slaying of dragons or whatever but its still kind of vague.

Pal Rappy for President TaciturnBadger's Avatar

Personally, I think this has quickly become one of the most in-depth and functionally impressive action/RPG's available for the DS today. My biggest complaint with the system on its whole was that the list of titles available all seemed largely "gimmicky," even some of the better ones (Phantom Hourglass is a perfect example). As far as how deep you want to go, I'm a firm believer that the entire Phantasy Star line goes as deep as you want it to. Sure, you can beat Normal and say you're done with it, but then you're missing out on some of the games finer aspects.

On the same token, I also believe that the games' nuances are left mostly out of the instruction manual. As a hardcore PSO/PSU player, sure, I can pick up the game and knock most of the idiosyncrasies out of the park just from experience. So the manual tells you how to feed a mag, sure -- but does it tell you what the different effects on combat and gameplay are, in a realistic setting? Or provide enough of an overview that giving a FOnewm's mag 57 Clear Sabres is a really, really fretarded idea? No. Of course, that all comes from experience.. which, sadly, can't be taught. For a complete noob to the series, it probably does have a steep learning curve. Immediately having said that.. any MMO with a die-hard following will all-but require enough depth to create a steep learning curve.

All that rambling aside..

..it's PSO I can take with me. I mean, I can punch Dark Falz while taking a dump at Burger King. How much @$$ does that kick?!?!
    All your mags are belong to us!

Usually on nights, ~10pm to ~1am (EST). Sometimes later.

I am a Hildetorr! To find out what you are, take the quiz here.

Don't take dumps in public restrooms. When you least expect it, something'll come up from the toilet and bite you in the butt.
    Last edited by Epically Leet; Nov 25, 2009 at 03:23 PM.
    ...Rest in peace, ol' chap. :'(

Pal Rappy for President TaciturnBadger's Avatar

I typically don't, it was mostly for illustrative purposes. I don't need a toilet booma trying to get a little too personal with my backside...
    All your mags are belong to us!

Usually on nights, ~10pm to ~1am (EST). Sometimes later.

I am a Hildetorr! To find out what you are, take the quiz here.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaimizu View Post
    No. I wouldn't say that. Heck, some of us Japanese players learned new stuff *after* the US version came out. When it came to this game, not everything was revealed or understood while just the Japanese version was out.
    Well, coming from my gaming roots. It applies to me, so I guess it's habitual me to apply it here. Hurr.

Being a newbie to the series I must say I love this game. I bought it from reading what you all said but now having it makes it seem so much more complicated. I read a ton of stuff but even when you go through the game there is so much you don't think about till it's right in your face or after its gone and your like hey...wait a minute.

I do have to admit the little info packet they gave with the game simply didn't do much. However, I assume it is on purpose and they are trying to get people to buy the strategy guide (I am considering this). I do agree this is the best RPG out there for DS and it is more complicated then many MMORPG's I play. This was well worth the 35 dollars I spent.
    Main:

PSZ Characters:
    Seppuku Wolf: HUcast-lv54
    Help Me decide on others please http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171259

Quote Originally Posted by StaticWings19 View Post
    i assumed prequal because the pioneers were fleeing a dying planet (and the planet in zero is sort of dying) and also they called the planet earth (not ragol) so i assumed it all happened after earth died and they moved on.

Do the side quest "Mother's Memories". Actually, I might as well tell you.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Epically Leet View Post
    Don't take dumps in public restrooms. When you least expect it, something'll come up from the toilet and bit you in the butt.
    zombieland hahaha

back @ topic

yes theres a lot of depth in psz its even a dating sim and a hentai game(OMG tentacles... pee...) XD
    Last edited by zetagear; Nov 24, 2009 at 06:48 PM.

PM me if you want to add me
    or if you want me to make you a sig like mine...

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    Do the side quest "Mother's Memories". Actually, I might as well tell you.

Spoiler!
    Response to spoilers:

Spoiler!

Mild spoilers:PS0 is probably 200ish years after PSO

PS0 could have done with less in-your-face plot points. PSO requires a decent amount of speculation to piece everything together.
    Last edited by Randomness; Nov 24, 2009 at 07:22 PM.
    Coming Soon!